November 19, 2012

chocolate chocolate chip muffins.


When did this become a food blog? I think it was sometime shortly after my first trimester ended.

Baby girl loves food.

As I've been trying to find ways to help us eat less processed foods, breakfast has remained my nemesis. We are by no means early birds (little boy included), so breakfast has taken shape in cereal bars, frozen waffles and bagels for a long time. Which aren't only not the healthiest, but not so cheap.

You probably know by now that I'm not a baker. I think it has something to do with my inability to follow directions and measurements. I rarely measure when I cook (I blame this on the part of my heritage that hails from Italy), so I've often translated that to baking. No good. But I've been determined to improve my handle on baked goods enough to, at least more than not, have something homemade ready in the morning for Nick to take on his way to work, and for the boy and I to eat as we're trying to wake up.

And, in my opinion, there's just something special about a homemade breakfast. It makes the morning a little more inviting.

These muffins have made my short list of both successes and repeats. Oh and as a warning, despite the name, these muffins aren't very sweet. Instead, they're pretty healthy. But the chocolate chips seem to keep the critics happy.



Chocolate Chocolate Chip Muffins
makes a dozen (recipe adapted from here)

Ingredients
1 3/4 cup white whole wheat flour
1/2 cup cane sugar
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1 Tbsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup chocolate chips
2 whole eggs
1 cup milk
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 tsp. vanilla

Directions
Preheat oven to 400ยบ and grease or place cupcake liners in muffin tins. In a large bowl mix together dry ingredients, set aside. In a separate bowl, mix together eggs and applesauce, then add and combine the rest of wet ingredients. Fold wet ingredients into dry, making sure not to over mix. 

Pour into prepared tins and sprinkle a few chocolate chips on top of each. Bake for 18-20 minutes.

Enjoy!

love.

No comments:

Post a Comment

hey, friend! thanks for your comment--so glad you're here!