November 6, 2012

slow cooker pot roast

I love fall. Every year it comes around, I'm freshly reminded of how glorious the crisp air and bright colors are.  And how comforting the feel of walking into your warm house can be. Oh, and of course how close Christmas is (I might love Christmas too much).

I also am reminded of how much I love cooking in the fall.

Summer is best for produce and freshness--something I miss in the other months. But oh, I love comfort food. And so does this baby. So I've been thoroughly enjoying the opportunity to pull out my slow cooker more often than not and make something rich and savory for dinner.

Last night, I made pot roast. And Nick commented multiple times on how good the house smelled, and how tasty it was. That's a win in my book.


Slow Cooker Pot Roast
Adapted from the Pioneer Woman's (found here)

Ingredients
3-5 lb. chuck roast
2 large onions, halved
1/2 bag of baby carrots
2 Tbsp. olive oil
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 packet onion soup mix
2-3 cups beef broth
salt & pepper to taste

Directions
Heat olive oil in large, nonstick pan. Season meat with salt, pepper and garlic powder, and brown chuck roast on both sides (about 2 minutes each). Remove from pan and put in slow cooker. In the same pan, brown onion halves, and place on plate. Do the same with the carrots.

With the heat still on, pour a little bit of beef broth into pan to deglaze it. I use a whisk to make sure all the flavorful stuff on the bottom comes up. Pour liquid into the slow cooker.

Empty the onion soup mix packet onto the roast, spreading as evenly as possible. Dump veggies in, and add salt & pepper. Then pour enough beef broth in to cover the roast about halfway or so.

Cover and cook on medium for 6 hours.

Serve with mashed potatoes & bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment

hey, friend! thanks for your comment--so glad you're here!